The Ahmadiyya Movement was first established in the Punjab state of India by Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (1839-1908) who declared himself as the promised Messiah and Mahdi – the Islamic reformer. Ghulam refuted Christian, Hindu and traditional Islamic doctrines about Jesus, which said that He would come back in person as the Madhi.
Ahmadis believe that the anticipated second coming of Jesus took place at the advent of Ghulam. He claimed to receive revelation and was therefore a prophet and a “divine guide” to mankind. Ahmadis have struggled for decades to receive acceptance in the global Islamic community because their doctrine is inconsistent with traditional Islam. Nevertheless, Ahmadiyya is known to be a peace loving and gentle movement within Islam. The fifth successor and current head of Ahmadiyya worldwide is Hazrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad, with headquarters now in London.
Ahmad adopted missionary methods, tradition and terminology from the Christian faith despite his opposition to Christian beliefs. This makes it appeal to poorly discipled Christians and rural poor. Its apologetic nature also attracts educated people.
The sect spread from India to the East and West coast of Africa and has been in Ghana since 1921 with an estimated 635,000 followers out of the global figure of at least 10 million Ahmadis. The movement first made a home among the Akans with a Methodist teacher as its earliest convert. It further established itself among a Muslim section of this writer’s tribe, the Waala. Ahmadiyya has contributed significantly to national development in Ghana and West Africa.
How to Pray
- Pray for Ahmadis to discern the truth about Jesus and experience His power (Matthew 16:13-19).
- Pray that God will use Ahmadiyya’s socio-political and economic influence to bring about holistic transformation in developing nations.
- Pray that the Ahmadis’ gentle posture will influence the Islamic world for peaceful coexistence with other religions.
- 30 Days of Prayer 2020 (PDF)$2.50
- 30 Days of Prayer ‘Just for Kids’ 2020 (PDF)$2.50
- 30 Ditët e Lutjes për botën myslimane (2020)$0.00
- 2020 ثلاثون یوم صلاة للعالم الإســلامي$0.00
- 30 дней молитвы за мусульманский мир 2020 (PDF)$0.00
- 30 днів молитви за мусульманський світ 2020 (PDF)$0.00
- 30 Days of Prayer – 2019 (PDF)$2.00
- 30 Days ‘Just for Kids’ – 2019 (PDF)$2.00
- (2019) ثلاثون یوم صلاة للعالم الإســلامي$0.00